Friday, July 24, 2009

Daycare has real-life applications

Normally Shadow & I like to write about the good stuff in his life. When he was a very young puppy he wasn't snuggled and fussed over 24/7. So I like to focus on how great his life is now.

But this week I was reminded that I can't protect him from every bad thing out there. Thankfully, he's a very smart little dog and he doesn't need 100% protection.

We went for a walk Sunday evening in our little neighborhood. He was on the flexi leash and I was zoning out because no one is ever walking on our street. I mean, it's Q-U-I-E-T in our little cul-de-sac subdivision. What's the worst that would happen? A cat might cross our path?

And then I looked up and saw 2 BIG dogs standing in the middle of the road with no owner in sight. The big dog's head is close to belt-buckle height and I've heard that the big guy has bitten a woman in our development (not badly, but still...) I had just enough time to say, "Oh bleep" when they both started running toward us.

I thought about picking Shadow up, but then realized with the 2 of them I wouldn't be able to protect him (or hold him high enough). So I did the only thing I could think to do ... I unclipped the leash & told him to run home. Then I turned to yell at the oncoming dogs to GO HOME.

Why would I unclip Shadow? (just in case anyone thinks I was a lunatic for releasing him)

  • If there was a fight, a leashed dog is physically at a disadvantage.
  • Leashed dogs are more likely to feel defensive and protective of their owners. The last thing I wanted from Shadow was a bold display of aggression.
  • Shadow is fast & agile, he had a better chance of outrunning them (or getting into a small space) without being attached to me.
  • But trust me, as I unclipped that leash I thought, "Please don't be stupid and run the 1/2 mile to the busy road."

    Shadow was smart, he ran toward home & stopped about 100' away from me. I got the 2 dogs to stop running just before they reached me (I guess I'm pretty scary) and the smaller one headed for home. The bigger one stayed in the road, but at least he didn't follow me when I started walking backward. Eventually I caught up with Shadow & put his leash back on.

    How does this relate to daycare? Simple - Shadow didn't react badly to the charging dogs. He followed directions and didn't become defensive or aggressive toward the other dogs. His body language was appropriate for the situation, and that probably helped prevent a bad situation.

    And guess where he learned that? Look at this picture of Shadow and a Great Pyrenees at daycare and you'll know where. Daycare keeps his doggy-skills sharp.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment